Ladybird trail December 19, 2019
The BR 275 made its first trip up Ladybird to fill all the cross ditches to the 19 Km cat turn around on Norns Creek. All went well as snow conditions were perfect for filling the large cross ditches from 16 Km to 19km. We probed 120 cm at 19 km mark and snowing heavily at the time. We will be keeping the tiller off for at least one more trip as the snow for the first 10 km on the trail is very thin.
Goose Creek Trail December 20, 2019
With heavy rains at lower elevations we set our goals on getting to the airport and putting the trails in around the Frosty Cabin. We were expecting a long evening groom on Goose. Heavy rains continued all the way up until we hit Frosty’s Y (approx the 10 km mark)at that elevation it changed to heavy snow till about the Shaw Cabin before it was good to work with. We managed to get the cat to the top of the airport and probed 150 cm of snow base. With 60 cm of fresh on top of last weeks base and snowing heavily. Just after making the turn at the airport we blew a hydraulic line on our blade and were unable to move our blade for our return to base, we would not have been able to remove all the moguls as the snow was just too sticky. Please remember these are early season trails and do not expect much with these crazy conditions.
Please check the avalanche report and if you are planning on riding this weekend use extreme caution as many ditches and creeks are opening up again with this lower elevation rain. If you notice any hazards please mark them so that others may be aware of them. Have a safe weekend and don't forget your rain gear.
Goose Creek Trail
With some fresh snow on the ground we decided to head up with the BR 180 and the compactor bar to start building our trail base. From the parking lot up to about 3 km the snow is thin and may melt off some if the weather does not cool down. At the 10 km mark up Goose Creek we probed 60 cm and found just enough snow to build our creek crossing. We managed to get up to the Shaw cabin with the cat but we were unable to go any further with just 90 cm of base. Over the years we have kept records and found we need 120 cm to go up past the cabin at a minimum, otherwise we expose many large boulders. We will keep our fingers crossed for some more white stuff, until then play it safe as there are many hazards off the trail. The base did seem very good as the cat had no issues getting into the Frosty Cabin as well today.
Lady bird trail
Waiting for more snow to fill Cross-ditches. Unloading in the parking lot looks good with about 15cm there.
Tip of the week when coming up behind the snow cat please keep your distance and just slowly follow until the cat operator can find a place to pull off the trail before attempting to pass thank you
Well here we are, almost mid December and still waiting for a good system to move in and give us some snow down low so we can at least get our cats out for their first trips. We have had several people asking about conditions so thought it would be good to let you all know what we know.
Up at higher elevations we have 110 cm to 130cm being reported. Those numbers are not bad but the mid elevation numbers are the problem for the trail building. They are just to low to run the cats without creating more hazards by clearing off covered rocks. So with that in mind we will be waiting for the next system to come in and hopfully drop some snow.
Staging areas are your choice, until the cats are on the hill as we can not keep up with changing road conditions at this time. Some are unloading in the parking lots while others drive up the road till they feel there is enough snow to cool their sleds. Be aware Goose Creek gets much more sun than Ladybird and can be ok to drive up in the morning but by the afternoon can be very icy. Always a good idea to have chains till conditions get better.
Hope for snow.